On 8/2/05, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Shawn Fertch wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at the man pages on both Slackware 10.1 and RHELv3 systems
> > with the following specifications:
> >
> > --exclude FILE
> >              exclude file FILE
> > -X, --exclude-from FILE
> >              exclude files listed in FILE
>
> Thus "FILE" is a plain text file containing a list of directories or files
> that are not to be backed up.  I think that is different from your
> original interpretation.

No, there is a distinct difference between the man pages I am looking
at, and what was mentioned by Karl:

What Karl mentioned:
Man page shows --exclude=PATTERN (with the equal sign).

What I originally stated that is within the man pages:
--exclude FILE
             exclude file FILE
-X, --exclude-from FILE
             exclude files listed in FILE

The distinct difference is the context in which they are used.  The
one Karl mentioned would be used in a way similar to:

tar cpf /dev/st0 --directory / --exclude=/proc .   (please note the
equal sign and not white space between the option and it's parameter).

I am aware of the list of directories and files as quoted in the man
pages on the "-X" or "--exclude-from" statement where it reads a text
file of things to exclude.

So far, neither of these seem to be working.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..