On 8/2/05, Nate Carlson <tclug at natecarlson.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> > tar cpf /dev/st0 --directory / --exclude=/proc .  (please note the equal
> > sign and not white space between the option and it's parameter).
>
> > I am aware of the list of directories and files as quoted in the man
> > pages on the "-X" or "--exclude-from" statement where it reads a text
> > file of things to exclude.
>
> Debian man pages:
>
>         --exclude=PATTERN
>                exclude files matching PATTERN
>         -X, --exclude-from=FILE
>                exclude files matching patterns listed in FILE
>
> Apparently, that's where it's coming from.
>
> Have you tried specifying your exclude's first thing?
>
> IE,
>
> tar --exclude /proc -cpf /dev/st0 --directory / .
>
> I just tried:
> tar --exclude /proc -czvf blah.tar /proc /boot
>
> and it excluded /proc successfully. (Debian's tar, again.)

That was it.  I had them out of order, and it seems to be working at the moment.

It doesn't make any sense as to why the syntax is different between
the man pages.  It's all gnu tar isn't it?  It doesn't make any sense
as to how Debian wrote the man pages the way they did, it's very
confusing to say the least.

Thanks Nate and everyone else for the help!

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..