On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:50:02 -0500, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> I've got two drives and I want to consolidate to one.  The problem is
> the one I want to get rid of has my swap partition and therefore I need
> to repartition the second one to have a swap partition and a data
> partition.  What has others experience been with using parted (or other
> free tools) to do this?

Parted is a very nice ultility!  I've used it to repartition many
drives, and it does a fantastic job.  One problem it has is that the
beginning of the partition can't be moved.  Because of this, you have
to plan your moves.  Often times I've had to move all my data off one
partition to another, blow away that partition and rebuild it
somewhere else, then move the data so I can resize the second
partition... depending on what you're doing, it can be a time
consuming process.  I've never lost a speck of data with parted, so I
consider it safe.

I do recommend not having either drive mounted, IIRC there is a
bootable version of parted so you can run it completely independent of
your linux install(s).
-Brian