You can boot from a floppy or knoppix and run parted.  Both will work
well.  I've successfully used it on several occasions.  I have even
used parted to resize mounted partitions on two seperate occasions
(and unsuccessfully on one occasion, just use the floppy/knoppix
method and skip the part where you get to feel like an idiot for
resizing mounted partitions.)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:04:01 -0500, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:50:02 -0500, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> > I've got two drives and I want to consolidate to one.  The problem is
> > the one I want to get rid of has my swap partition and therefore I need
> > to repartition the second one to have a swap partition and a data
> > partition.  What has others experience been with using parted (or other
> > free tools) to do this?
>
> Parted is a very nice ultility!  I've used it to repartition many
> drives, and it does a fantastic job.  One problem it has is that the
> beginning of the partition can't be moved.  Because of this, you have
> to plan your moves.  Often times I've had to move all my data off one
> partition to another, blow away that partition and rebuild it
> somewhere else, then move the data so I can resize the second
> partition... depending on what you're doing, it can be a time
> consuming process.  I've never lost a speck of data with parted, so I
> consider it safe.
>
> I do recommend not having either drive mounted, IIRC there is a
> bootable version of parted so you can run it completely independent of
> your linux install(s).
> -Brian

Joel Wickard
Litrius Group