As far as I can figure out, most XPHome CDs are hard coded to the key
that came with them. I was playing with a valid XPHome Product Key and
trying to use it with a friends XPHome CD and it would not allow me to
use the key that did not come with the CDROM. I could not even use a
tool like RockXP to change the key after installation (works great with
XP Pro though!)

Kinda sucks, I have a couple valid XPHome Keys with no CDROM to install
it on a machine (yeah I know, use Linux.....but ya know....).

Randy Clarksean wrote:

> A client has a Compaq computer that originally had XP Home installed on
> it.  It crashed and there were not any recovery disks, etc. .. so I put
> a brand new version of XP Pro on it at the time because that was the
> fastest solution to get it back on line.
>
> So ... he has the license key (Product key) attached to the side of the
> machine for XP Home.  He has a new machine with no OS ... I get a copy
> of XP Home from a buddy ... go to install it and it tells me the key is
> not valid.
>
> Questions:  Any one else ever have this problem?  Is there an OEM
> Version of XP Home or something that needs to be used rather than the
> standard XP Home?
>
> He has the legit license key - not being used .. I was hoping there was
> some way he could use it.
>
> Randy

Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.