The biggest two problems HP created a few years back were 1) taking Carly
Fiorina as the CEO, and 2) buying/merging with Compaq.

HP makes totally excellent printers!  For this current day, I'd say that's
their nîche -- it's what they do well.  In the past (and still in the
right "community," they're well known for their scientific instruments).

Unfortunately, two rotten apples don't make a sweet tasting pie.  Merging
Compaq's struggling proprietary computer market with HP's struggling,
proprietary computer market gave them one big, way-to-proprietary,
struggling computer market.

When you think of: Dell  you instantly think computers.
When you think of: HP    you instantly think printers... and then, well,
yeah, they do make other stuff too.

It's all about marketing and making bad decisions.  Why HP thought they
should/could compete on the desktop computer front (when IBM couldn't even
pull it off), I don't understand.  I won't touch their computer stuff
though.  It's too quirky and too proprietary!  You'd even have to totally
hack the case just to use if with some other board.