On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Mike Miller wrote:

> Here is a message from MLUG (Missouri) two months ago:
>
> http://mlug.missouri.edu/list-archives/discussion/2004-08/msg00138.php3
>
> Jon King is really a smart guy - professor with degrees from Yale and CMU
> - and I have a high regard for his nonexpert opinions.  So of course this
> gives me another reason to be concerned about continuing to invest in HP
> products such as VMS.

I am not an HP employee, and never have been.  So take the following
comments with a grain of salt.  But one of the most destructive things
that can happen with a company is to get a CEO who doesn't want to be
running *that* company, but some other company.  Decisions will be made
with the goal to turn the company into a clone of the other company, and
not what makes the most sense with where this company currently is.
Gaurenting sub-optimal decisions.  At best- worst case, decisions will be
made in terms of what makes sense for the other company, and not for this
company, gaurenteeing totally wrong decisions.

>From what I've seen, Carly doesn't want to be running HP.  She wants to be
running Dell.  And that this long-term dooms HP.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian