Rob,
I run Gentoo and Windows XP on my dell laptop. The Gentoo installation
handbook provides excelent detail for installation and getting grub to
boot Gentoo and Windows Xp.
One thing to beware of, by default Gentoo compiles everything on the fly.
If you dont have a faster machine be prepared for it to take for ever.
Even on my 3.06GHz p4 it took 5-6 hours to get gentoo installed and get X
installed

Adam