Hello all,

I am running SUSE 9.0.  I am having some problems with a recently
installed HP Surestore DAT 40.  When I try and run a backup, the
computer freezes, slowly at first and then progressively gets more
locked up.  Here is what happens.

Start Backup
BU software starts the jobs and hits a good xfer rate.  Usually within
30-50 seconds of starting the job the backup throughput falls and
eventually goes to 0.  The tape drive stops receiving data (light
stops flashing).  The backup software interface still functions but
becomes increasingly unresponsive.  Same with the GUI interface.
Eventually all user interfaces lock up.  If I run a very small backup
job (like the htdocs directory) it will work fine.  Any larger job
causes the hang.  No matter how long I wait, the software never
generates and error message.  Also, nothing in any of the log files I
checked to say what is happening.

This box has apache and qmail running on it as well.  When it is
locking up, I can still access the apache test page text, but the
graphic won't load.  I can telnet to qmail but it won't send any mail.

Here is the setup.

Compaq Smart 2SL attached to 2 x 9 GB drives in RAID 1 and 1 36 GB drive.
HP DAT is connected to on board Adaptec 7860 controller along with a
NEC cdrom drive.  The CD is the last device on the chain.
Backup software tried (both Tapeware and Arkeia).
All drives appear as expected.  I can format tapes in the drive and
have been able to work with as expected until I start a backup job.

I suspect it is a hardware issue.  The 7860 is a ultra/narrow
controller whereas the DAT drive is a Ultra/LVD drive.  Is it possible
that this is the cause?  Could the location of the DAT on the cable be
a problem, should it be last?

This server also has a 7890 on-board controller that is Ultra/LVD, but
when I enable it the machine won't boot to the Compaq raid controller.
 I think I need to disable some stuff in the scsi bios to fix that
problem, but I haven't had time.  The compaq 2sl also has a second
channel, but the documentation that came with the dat suggests you
shouldn't connect it to a raid controller if possible.

Any suggestions on where to look for this problem would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

rotbau