On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:20:03 -0500, rbentz at dunwoody.edu
<rbentz at dunwoody.edu> wrote:
> Josh - Have you ever run a dual boot XP and Gentoo?  I noticed another
> post that you use XP too.  I'd like to figure out how to do this and not
> blow up XP, need XP for work until I get better at the Linux configs.
> Any recommendations?

Yes, I have. I set it up from an empty drive though. My suggestion
would be to do the same, or use partition magic or some tool to move
the partitions around.

It's pretty simple how it works. It's all documented in the gentoo
install doc also.

You just setup your linux partitions, then make one extra for xp.

/dev/hda1 - boot partition, where grub and linux kernel are stored
/dev/hda2 - swap partition, where linux swap is used
/dev/hda3 - / (root) partition, where all your linux stuff will go
/dev/hda4 - xp partition

Each of these are a different filesystem also, but that's explained in
detail in the docs. You can also setup all the linux partition in one
partition if you want to. Just preference I guess.

You will want the boot partition to be bootable, and not the xp
partition. Then you can have grub ( or lilo ) have a menu with a list
of linux kernels to boot into, or xp. You can make it default into xp
if you want also.

I would suggest reading the gentoo docs. There is a lot of information
there. The setup is really easy once you've made it through the first
time or so.

If you run into any troubles, the gentoo forums are a very helpful
place to find a lot of good information. People there are very helpful
also.

-Josh