    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:01:58 -0500, rbentz at dunwoody.edu
    >> <rbentz at dunwoody.edu> wrote:
    >> > If you were to recommend a distro for someone to learn on what would
    rbentz> it
    >> > be?
    >> > I would like to understand the common things about linux -- tools,
    >> > processes, setups, and other geek stuff.
    >> > Skill area is intermediate, mainly confused about the things windows
    >> > does easily - drivers, updates, kernel compiles, dual boots, network
    >> > configs, (the list goes on)
    >> >
    >> > Goal:  Build an optimized home system (very curious about gentoo but
    >> > think I might drown in steps) and it would run on a laptop.  With
    rbentz> the
    >> > thought in mind to get rid of windo$e for a while and learn a new
    rbentz> set of
    >> > skills/methods for computing.
    >> >
    >> > Too broad of a question?  Thoughts?
    >> >
    >> > Rob
    >>
    >> My thought would be to use gentoo. You'll learn more during an
    >> install than you will setting up redhat and using if for months. The
    >> install docs are very detailed, and explain how things work.
    >>
    >> -Josh

    rbentz> Josh - Have you ever run a dual boot XP and Gentoo?  I noticed another
    rbentz> post that you use XP too.  I'd like to figure out how to do this and not
    rbentz> blow up XP, need XP for work until I get better at the Linux configs.
    rbentz> Any recommendations?

I've got a dual-boot Mandrake + XP machine.  I use Mandrake, because
well, I got started with it a long time ago (liked the KDE feel better
than the old RedHat Gnome feel), and now I don't feel like wasting the
time to learn another.  [So leave me out of the distro flame war!]

Reasons why Mandrake might be good:  prebuilt (if you want to use
gentoo, just ignore this altogether); comes with tools to resize your
Windows NTFS partitions for dual-boot w/o having to buy partition
magic; allegedly has easier install process (I don't go recreationally
doing Linux installs, so I can't compare this with others).

Cheers,