Been a while sense I've seen a question that will stir the pot like this one :-O

What do you want to learn?

If you want to learn "Linux" then install a base system (no X-windows) and grow
it to where you want to go. For this Debian would be a good choice because it
has apt-get and other tools for installing applications over the wire that are
very easy to use.

If you want to use office applications and the guts don't matter then Fedora
Core 2 may the way to go.

This is only my humble opinion.

Putting on flame proof suit, standing in lake Minnetonka, and holding a fire
extinguisher, LOL!

Sam.