>>>>> "smac" == smac  <smac at visi.com> writes:

    smac> Been a while sense I've seen a question that will stir the
    smac> pot like this one :-O What do you want to learn?

    smac> If you want to learn "Linux" then install a base system (no
    smac> X-windows) and grow it to where you want to go. For this
    smac> Debian would be a good choice because it has apt-get and
    smac> other tools for installing applications over the wire that
    smac> are very easy to use.

[I hope this isn't a flame]

I can't imagine anyone wanting a non-X windows linux system.  Even if
your Mr. Text Mode like me, and mostly use the command-line and emacs,
X is too handy to give up.  E.g., I love hopping back and forth
between multiple konsole tabs, like having bigger console and Emacs
windows, like having multiple emacs frames, like having my choice of
readable black fonts on nice mild gray backgrounds, etc., etc.

And I'm MORE of a text-using geezer than just about anyone I know!

I don't see that no X means "learning linux" --- it sounds more like
learning pdp-11 Unix to me! :-)

Note that this would NOT be true if you're interrested in learning to
run a secure, production-quality SERVER.  In that case no-X is
perfectly reasonable.