On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:49:45PM -0500, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> I vehemently agree with your recommendation.  If you are ok with a
> little trial by fire I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better
> distro than slackware.  If you're looking for pretty Windows-esque
> GUI's to configure your sound card best to stay with Redhat, SuSE or
> Mandrake.  After years of frustration I personally refuse to install a
> distro that's based on RPMs for packages (Redhat, SuSE and others).
> Debian is also a nice choice that's in the middle-ground if you don't
> need bleeding edge stuff.

How does Debian unstable not have software that's bleeding edge?
its been a while since I have played with Gentoo, but my
impression has always been that new software gets into Debian
unstable at least as fast as Gentoo.

If by bleeding edge, you mean compiled on you own box, well the
benfits of compiling yourself are far from proven for most
software.  But that's just my Debian-centric view, I know that
many Gentoo-heads feel differently :).

Anyway,  I would (surprise, surprise) recommend Debian in this
situation.  Debian is good for someone who isn't afraid to
roll-up their sleeves and dive in in order to see what's really
going on on their box. I find Debian easier to maintain then
Gentoo or Slackware, while also easier to do what you want it to
then Red Hat, Mandrake, or Suse.