Out of the box, to do everything you want to do...there is...Windows.

If the shoe fits.... ;)

> mount up old windows drives

Why? Are you not totally converting to Linux? Or not totally
converting yet? If you're switching to Linux, you may as well copy the
data over to a Linux native partition. NTFS read support works, but
NTFS write support is another story..so everything will need to be
saved on the Linux drive anyway...so now your stuff under Linux and
your stuff under Windows is out of sync.  Any distro should deal with
NTFS file systems no problem.

> feel like windows

Again...if you want it to feel like windows, run windows. :) The
closest you are going to get is probally KDE...but it's still not
windows.

> run quicken

You're best bet here is running Windows. Second best bet is CrossOver
Office from Code Weavers.

> print photos

Do you know if your printer is supported by Linux? That's the hard
part. From there you just have to decide what application you want to
print from.

> do word and excel like stuff

Open Office does a fine job, or KOffice for the KDE angle. AbiWord and
GNumeric are fine applications as well, but they are GNOME/GTK apps
not KDE.

> email

Personally, I perfer thunderbird with http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
installed. I've got the same mail client, with GnuPG support, on Mac,
Linux, and Windows. Sweeet. (Even have my girlfriend using it now.)

> surf

Mozilla Firefox. Pretty much the same reasons as I pick thunderbird.
Same program for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Xandros might do what you're after, I can't think of any other distro
that includes Cross Over.  I haven't used it myself, but hey it's
Debian based so I'm already biased. The purchased version includes
CrossOver, so you've got that "out of the box" feel. I'm happy enough
with just plain old Debian. Things like Cross Over can be installed
without much hassle. But commercial stuff like Xandros will be more
polished, which is what your wife wants.

Maybe to make this all easier on yourself you should grab the 45 day
Microsoft Virtual PC trial and install the Linux distros under there
until you find the one you want.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it