On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:57:53 -0500, Andrew Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of the box, to do everything you want to do...there is...Windows.
>
> If the shoe fits.... ;)

Yeah - been saying that for the last 5 years on this computer... Guess
I just get the itch for somehting new.  I just cringe everytime I see
the bank's online banking site up in Internet Explorer...  WE have
firefox, but seems like something don't work for her everytime she's
online.

> > mount up old windows drives
>
> Why? Are you not totally converting to Linux? Or not totally
> converting yet? If you're switching to Linux, you may as well copy the
> data over to a Linux native partition. NTFS read support works, but
> NTFS write support is another story..so everything will need to be
> saved on the Linux drive anyway...so now your stuff under Linux and
> your stuff under Windows is out of sync.  Any distro should deal with
> NTFS file systems no problem.

During the time of testing distros and during the "migration period"
once a distro is chosen, we'll need to read NTFS

> > feel like windows
>
> Again...if you want it to feel like windows, run windows. :) The

:)

> > print photos
>
> Do you know if your printer is supported by Linux? That's the hard
> part. From there you just have to decide what application you want to
> print from.

Yes it's a HP and I use the HPOJ driver.  Gimp seems a bit over kill
to print a photo onto 4x6 paper - any other linux photo printing aps
out there that folks use and like?

> > email
>
> Personally, I perfer thunderbird with http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
> installed. I've got the same mail client, with GnuPG support, on Mac,
> Linux, and Windows. Sweeet. (Even have my girlfriend using it now.)

Already use it.  Like it just fine.

> > surf
>
> Mozilla Firefox. Pretty much the same reasons as I pick thunderbird.
> Same program for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

trying to get everyone to use it - even secretly replaced the target
of the IE icon to point to firefox.

> Maybe to make this all easier on yourself you should grab the 45 day
> Microsoft Virtual PC trial and install the Linux distros under there
> until you find the one you want.

:D now that sounds like a good idea!