Hi All-

Getting my wife/home computer off of Win2k and have been trying out
"desktop" distros. I have startcom, xandros, and lycoris burned to
cdrom.  I had startcom on for a few days - she just didn;t like the
gnome setup and some things didn't work off the bat (dvd/cd burner not
detected, no NTFS support, Xine stuttered alot etc).

Now normally - I'd love to tinker with it, but at this time and on
this computer, I don't want to stray into custom setups and quick
hacks.

Xandros replaced the Startcom install and it looks alot more familiar
(KDE with redmond decorations) - the Xandros file manager is a lot
like Explorer, NTFS partitions mounted automagically, Xine works
great, cdburner detected.  The version of Xandros that you buy comes
with crossover so we should be able to run some windows stuff like
Quicken word etc.

Next up is Lycoris, then ??? Linodws?.

We need to, out of the box :

mount up old windows drives
feel like windows
run quicken
print photos
do word and excel like stuff
email
surf

I don't mind spending money on the distro if it meets most of the
above - esp. printing photos and running quicken.  Would also like
nice security updates and package installs...  No tinkering needed -
Stuff Just Works...

thanks
john

P.S.

 I run gentoo on my own computers and on a few servers at work...  I
just don't want ot be tinkering all the time on the home computer