Has anyone used udev with MP3 players?

I'm using Debian unstable 2.6.8 with udev & hotplug &
gnome-volume-manager.  When I plug in my mp3 player I don't see a
/dev/usb/mpio.  I tried writing a simple rule that matched this:
BUS="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}="2735", Name="usb/%k", SYMLINK="usb/mpio2"

Even before I added my udev rule, I was able to run a mpiosh program
that would initialize with the mp3 player and allow for simple
readings but would fail when doing any sort of file transfer.

Here is the error:
mpio: src/io.c(713): mpio_io_write: libusb returned error: (ffffff92)
"error writing to bulk endpoint 1: Connection timed out"
mpio: src/fat.c(1002): mpio_fatentry_is_defect: defective block
encountered, abort reading! (older models check)

I'm not sure if I am having problems with udev, libmpio, or libusb.  I
found someone on the internet that was able to get the mp3 player to
work under Debian.  However, I can't tell what I might be missing.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?  I tried emailing the
sourceforge list serve and nobody responded.  I thought that some of
the underlying libusb stuff is not configured correctly.

--
Jeff Rasmussen
GPG public key 0x9686C12F