Fedora Core 1

I have a daemon running called "irqbalance" it supports "distributed
interrupts across the cpus of multiprocessor system for load balancing".
I have another daemon running called "microcode_ctl" it's "a script that
applies cpu microcode".

The machine is a Compaq Armada M700, PIII 450 laptop with only 1 processor.

I'm fairly sure I don't need the "irqbalance" deamon running sense I
only have 1 cpu.
But
Is the "microcode_ctl" deamon telling the machine to act as if it has 2
cpu's and thus "irqbalance" starts?

On another related note.
I seam to remember installing windows 2000 server, single processor
Compaq Proliant server and having Task Manager
show 2 processors.  I'm guessing the microcode script does about the
same thing. causing the irqbalance
to start.

Sam.