| On another related note.
| I seam to remember installing windows 2000 server, single processor
| Compaq Proliant server and having Task Manager
| show 2 processors.  I'm guessing the microcode script does about the
| same thing. causing the irqbalance
| to start.

That hyperthreading. You need a reasonable recent (1-1.5 years old?)
processor with a fast (800Mhz I think) frontside bus to use
Hyperthreading. Your operating system also has to support Hyperthreading.
(Win2k Sp4, WinXP SP1, and Windows 2003 support it, not sure on Linux)

Hyperthreading lets your CPU do two operations at once, or whatever. SMP
on a single processor, but only 50-80% of the proformance of two real
processors.

Fun part is...when you have two real Hyperthreading processors...Windows
shows 4 processors. Have 4 Hyperthreading processors? You have 8
processors. IIRC, at 8 or 16 processors you can't use Hyperthreading
anymore as the load on the bus results in a decrease in performance.

Not something you have to worry about on your laptop though, not new
enough to do hyperthreading. :)

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.