On Thursday 06 May 2004 01:08 pm, Randy Clarksean wrote:
> I will be developing / teaching an online Linux class for Minnesota State
> Community and Technical College and I need to select a textbook for the
> class ASAP (like last week).
>
> Any suggestions on a decent Linux textbook?  The course is geared around
> the 101 and 102 Linux exams ... so there are lots of exam type books ...
> but I need a textbook ... something where I do not have to write all the
> homework, etc.  I have the LPIC 1 Certification Bible by Angie Nash and
> Jason Nash ... it of course has good study guide sections, but the answers
> are all within the book itself.
>
> IF anyone has taken an online computer class I would love to hear about
> things that were good ... and things that were bad.  I may tentatively have
> a small installfest for students close to campus (Wadena, Detroit Lakes, or
> Fergus Falls).  It would be nice to have everyone running the same OS so
> that I do not have to have problems with subtle issues.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Randy Clarksean

My prefered book for teaching Linux is Mark Sobell's "Practical Guide to Red
Ht Linux 8". Don't let the title throw you. It's just the most recent
incarnation of his "Practical Guide to Linux". I used the original version
while teaching up in Duluth and have used the current teaching a course at
the NEICenter at Dunwoody since last fall. That last statement is not entirely
acurate. I have taught that class now for three quarters. Winter quarter we
used one of the Linux+ oriented texts from Course technology. I had much less
success with the students understanding the material from that text. I went
back to the Sobell book this quarter and the results are better. The Sobell
book is a monster (1600 pages) but its well laid out and has a reference
section that is "man pagish" in the back of the book. This may be a good
companion to your test prep guides.

Reference:
http://www.sobell.com - Mark's site with some sample chapters

Good Luck!