Randy,

I used Running Linux by Matt Welsh etal. when I started - but its not a
textbook.  I think a textbook would be out of date quickly due to the
rapid development happening with Linux, perhaps why there aren't
many around.
Is this course geared toward sysadmins (inferred from your email) or
the average desktop user?
I work near Fergus Falls and may be interested in participating.  Do you
have any more info about the class?
As far as 'same OS', I've settled on Mandrake both as my work desktop
and at home.  My kids have picked it up pretty quickly.  I'm sure there
are other distros I could have used but this had the best combination
of what I was looking for.  May not have what you are looking at for the
class though.

Feel free to contact me directly if comments aren't germane to the list.

Bob