Thanks Troy - you made me start thinking out of the box...

My solution was to replace the string

gnome-cups-manager with
XFree86-base-fonts

in the rpm using a hex editor.  rpm then whined about the md5
digest and the signature, but I was able to bypass those using
the  --nodigest --nosignature arguments.

apt is happy, rpm is happy, I am happy.

And yes, this was horribly ugly (which makes me happy)