For completeness, apt was not happy.  Any time I queried the rpm
db I got a complaint about an invalid signature.  I did a
rpm --rebuilddb, and rpm dumped the record for ximians openoffice.

The rpm is still installed, it's just not being tracked by rpm.

I guess the next step is to bdiff the original rpm with my
hacked rpm and hex edit the signature.

This is really dumb - there should be an easy way to edit the
dependency info of an rpm.

Entertainingly enough, the documents for rpmlib are out of sync
with the actual library, and the sole rpmlib example doesn't
compile because the API has changed radically.