On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Adam Maloney wrote:
> Let me clarify - "cisco certified" memory a.k.a., SmartNet Approved

They do have an approved vendor list - at least they used to:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-oem-memory-approved-vendor-list.htm

> I have heard numerous times on other lists that your TAC contract is
> worthless if you have any non-cisco certified memory in your gear.
> That's the quickest way for them to get you off the phone and close the
> case.

I generally buy memory from Crucial (which sells true Micron memory);
haven't ever had TAC bother me about it - of course, they have never
asked.  :)

> $1000 for 128MB of cisco memory is not unheard of.  And 128MB is getting
> iffy for a full routing table today (I have 256MB in each box in the
> core).

Yeah, that's about what it cost for a 128mb module 3-4 years back. Eesh.

> In fact, just for "shock and awe" value, I found this "deal" on-line:
>
> 512MB (2-256MB Modules) For NPE-G1 In 7200 Cisco Approved - $3600

That's just a steal! :)

> Nate - you probably remember the fiasco with getting the rackmount kits
> for the 2500's and AS5300's a number of years ago?  $50 (or was it
> $150?) plus shipping for 2 metal brackets and 4 screws...

I've never had problems with rackears with the lower-end routers, but I
have gotten quotes for hundreds of dollars for the larger routers (3xxx's,
7200's);  thank God for rackears.com and/or eBay.  :)