Not quite true as stated as far as *function* goes.  I've had like 5 calendars on my two Palm-type PDAs under Windoze with separate
stuff coming from 2 PCs and ad hoc cross-syncing I defined on the PDA "conduit manager" in each PC.  Needed to keep business and
personal separate on separate PCs, and had social vs "others" on the personal side.  The Palm "All" view showed all and all
categories, but maintenance of the calendars was a real pain and setup of PocketMirror (the conduit def/control link) wasn't real
simple... Chapura (PocketMirror people) helped do it.  Looked like "categories" on the Palm, but each PC had its own hierarchy and
"business" showed as a category on the personal PC's calendar.  No "personal stuff" ever showed on the business PC, but all was on
the PDAs.  Looks like the right tools are present on the Linux side, but I haven't tried them yet.

Chuck