On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, kevin wrote:
> A friend of mine (really, it's not me!) has gotten himself in too deep on a
> project.

 Sure, "a friend"... ;)

> Basically, a client of his has two locations. They want to run a T1 between
> the locations, and then from one office run a T1 connection to the Internet.
> Unfortunately, he know nothing about routers.

 As long as there's something terminating the T1 connections that works.

> While there might be better solutions, I was wondering if he could set
> something up like this:
>
> 1. site 1 has a linux server with two NICs, one connected to the local
> subnet, and one connected to the T1 subnet
> 2. site 2 has a linux server with three NICs, one connected to the local
> subnet, one to the T1 subnet, and the third connected to the T1 which has
> Internet access.
>
> Could this work?

 Totally.

> If it would work, would I need to add static routes on the box with 3 NICs
> or could it figure out how to send some traffic to the Internet and some to
> the other site?

 Yeah, you'd probably have to explicitly tell it the route to get to Site
1's local subnet.  That's not hard, though.
 The truly paranoid (not me...okay, maybe me) could set up something like
FreeS/WAN or Openswan over the point-to-point T1 link, to encrypt the data
flowing between the sites.  Maybe unnecessary, but it would handle the
route creation for Site 2 -> Site 1. :)

     Jima