On 3/4/2004 11:22 AM James Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:43:09AM -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:
>
>>Also, some new and clarified information for the group.  This is from
>>Qwest's MegaCentral page (for ISP's)
>>
>>2/24/04 Qwest is introducing DSL without a telephone line, often
>>referred to as naked DSL or as Qwest refers to it Standalone DSL
>>
>>$33/month
>>$99 activation (but see promo)
>>1.5M Choice DSL Deluxe service ONLY
>>Address loop qual process
>>DMT only
>>

> I just got off the phone with a Qwest rep. Since I have a CAP setup, he told me
> it would take about three weeks to convert over to DMT and get me fully
> operational. 1) They have to disable CAP. Takes five days (Why? Just does.) 2)
> Then they have to reconfigure to DMT (takes another 5 days). 3) Miscellanous
> screwups. Another five days. He suggested I contact my ISP simply so I wouldn't
> get billed for the downtime.
>
> He had an interesting suggestion. 1) Call Qwest and cancel my DSL service and
> disconnect the phone line. Takes about 2 days. 2) Call Qwest and order
> Standalone DSL. Takes about 5 days. He figures I can shave about a week or
> more off the downtime.
>
> He pushed for the Actiontec modem, saying that the DSL guys at Qwest recommend
> it and say the Cisco 978 won't work. Since I've read a few success stories
> here, I know that's wrong. So, where can I get a Cisco 678? Ebay is selling
> them for anywhere from $70-$100. That seems expensive, especially for used
> equipment.

James,

Boy, I hope you had your boots on when you made *that* phone call! What
a bunch of B.S.! I've heard of the "disconnect CAP, wait a week, connect
DMT" concept from other folks. They can do the CAP->DMT+1.5M deal in one
hour! It takes two work orders, but they can have the same date. I could
understand that maybe one CO might be less organized than others, and
take a little longer, but I don't think the person you talked to would
know about that.

One thing that I hesitated to mention before (but that the hell...) is
that Qwest farms out *some* of their 1-800-244-1111 work to contractors,
who work on commission. Thus the "you *must* order an Actiontec" crap.
The rep gets more $$$ if they sell a modem.

Someone else mentioned that VISI gave them a different number to call -
maybe that gets you to more knowledgeable Qwest folks. ... ya, it was
Tom Penney, the number was "1.800.218.4443 press option 2".

jcf
--
Any information contained herein is correct to the best of my knowledge.
I could be wrong. May contain typos. Your mileage may vary. Windows sucks.