On 3/4/2004 8:00 AM Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:36:01PM -0600, Tom Penney wrote:
>
>>Awesome I just upgraded from 256k service. Thanks!
>

> I just called in today and the 1.5Mbs service is not available in my
> area ;) I live in Shoreview/55126.
>
> What areas are upgraded to 1.5?
>
> florin

Florin,

My suggestion is to call them back. You already have DSL, so I don't
think distance is the problem. Two things come to mind...

  Your CO may not have any more DMT equipment available. If this
    is the case, they should have a guess as to when they will
    get more equipment and convert you from CAP to DMT.

  You may have talked to someone who doesn't know their stuff.
    I've heard of one case where the Qwest rep thought that a
    line wasn't eligible for DMT DSL - it was because it already
    had CAP DSL, and the Qwest ordering system simply told the
    rep that they couldn't use the line for DMT DSL. This is
    technically true, but it *didn't* say that it just needs to
    be unhooked from CAP, *then* you can use the line for DMT.
    The rep didn't know that if you have CAP DSL, it should
    qualify for DMT.

One way to get a rough idea of where you stand as far as distance
from your CO: http://www.dslreports.com/prequal/distance
You give your zip, phone number, and it give you estimates from
one or more DSL providers (not necessarily Qwest). In my case, Covad
says I'm 4165 feet, and Network Access Solutions says 2673. Qwest's DMT
DSL can reach as far as 17,500 feet.

I'm no phone techie, so there may be some other reason they can't
convert you to DMT at 1.5M. But I doubt it. If you call Qwest and still
don't get someone who says it will work, maybe call VISI sales or
support and have someone there help you out.

jcf
--
Any information contained herein is correct to the best of my knowledge.
I could be wrong. May contain typos. Your mileage may vary. Windows sucks.