On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:43:09AM -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:
> Also, some new and clarified information for the group.  This is from
> Qwest's MegaCentral page (for ISP's)
>
> 2/24/04 Qwest is introducing DSL without a telephone line, often
> referred to as naked DSL or as Qwest refers to it Standalone DSL
>
> $33/month
> $99 activation (but see promo)
> 1.5M Choice DSL Deluxe service ONLY
> Address loop qual process
> DMT only

I just got off the phone with a Qwest rep. Since I have a CAP setup, he told me
it would take about three weeks to convert over to DMT and get me fully
operational. 1) They have to disable CAP. Takes five days (Why? Just does.) 2)
Then they have to reconfigure to DMT (takes another 5 days). 3) Miscellanous
screwups. Another five days. He suggested I contact my ISP simply so I wouldn't
get billed for the downtime.

He had an interesting suggestion. 1) Call Qwest and cancel my DSL service and
disconnect the phone line. Takes about 2 days. 2) Call Qwest and order
Standalone DSL. Takes about 5 days. He figures I can shave about a week or
more off the downtime.

He pushed for the Actiontec modem, saying that the DSL guys at Qwest recommend
it and say the Cisco 978 won't work. Since I've read a few success stories
here, I know that's wrong. So, where can I get a Cisco 678? Ebay is selling
them for anywhere from $70-$100. That seems expensive, especially for used
equipment.

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist