On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 08:06, Michael J. Bird wrote:
> I think there is enough difference in doing system administration between RH
> and D/G that a SIG would keep people from one being bored by topics of the
> other and/or reduce the "But it's so much easier in MY distro" comments.
>
> Yes, I think a D/G SIG would be a Good Thing.
>
> My $0.02.

Yes the details of the administration is different but the general
capabilities, problems, packages, etc. are the same. I've learned a lot
from the Debian, gentoo, slack, etc, threads even though I'm mostly a RH
guy and have nothing to add to those threads. I've also gotten extremely
helpful advice from people who don't run RH.

I plan to try to keep up with all the SIG's if I can. My fear is that
people who can help will miss the post because they will only be reading
one SIG.

If the goal is to reduce the volume of posts how about moving the chat
topics to a SIG or a Wiki. I enjoy reading about "Hacker-style music"
and the like as much as anyone but only when I have spare time. The
volume of truly on topic posts is not that great.

My two cents...

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>