On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:23:33AM -0600, Tom Penney wrote:
> But forgetting about everyone else is ok?

Now, now. ;-)  There's room enough here for everyone.  So, it sounds
like people would like filters for each distro?  One for Off-topic and
one for beer meeting stuff?

        TOPICS               FILTERS
        ------               ----------------------------
        Debian               debian(?i)
        Slackware            slack(ware)?(?i)
        Fedora/Red Hat       fedora(?i)
                             red(?=hat)(?i)
                             RH
        Mandrake             mandrake(?i)
        Gentoo               gentoo(?i)
        Beer Meeting         beer.*(meeting)?(?i)
        OFF-?TOPIC, OT       off-?topic(?i)
                             OT

The regular expression matching rules for the filters are listed in the
Python 're' module[1] and the Regular Expression HOWTO[2].  The '(?i)'
at the end of the expression makes the filter case insensitive.

I believe you can "cross-post" the topics.  E.g.  Let's say my problem
involves both the linux kernel and Debian.  My "Keywords: " header would
read "Keywords: debian, kernel".

There is also a user-based option to accept or reject posts that don't
match any keywords.  IOW, if someone really wanted to be blind to all
miscellaneous traffice, (s)he could do so.  Take a look at your options
for the list[3].  They're explained pretty well there.  NOTE, if you
don't explicitly subscribe to anything, you'll receive everything.

I'll email the list owners to request the above filters to be added.