From: Justin Cooper [mailto:coop0030 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 1:57 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [TCLUG] New member - Mandrake 10.0 pcmcia wireless card
question

Hello,
I am a new member to the TCLUG.  I never even knew that there was a local
Linux users group until a couple of days ago.  Hopefully I will be able to
attend the next meeting.

Onto my question...
I just installed Mandrake 10.0 on my Compaq Presario 2105US laptop (not the
best piece of computing machinery...) and I am having difficulty with my
PCMCIA wireless card.  It is a Netgear MA401ra card.  The second I put it in

my computer Linux does a hard freeze, and I have to reboot.  I have hotplug
enabled.  It also causes the boot process to freeze right after it is
detected as a PCMCIA device.  I don't think it is the actual PCMCIA that is
causing the problems, because that loads up just fine (I don't have any
other cards to test it out though).  I have excluded a few IRQ's in the
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts file to no avail.  I have also double checked that
the orinoco_cs drivers are being loaded for the card (I believe it is a
Prism 2.x chipset, which should be compatible with the orinoco drivers).  I
am thoroughly stumped on this one, and am about to try switching to a new
linux distro.  If I were to switch, which distro would be the most
compatible with a PCMCIA wireless card?  I was looking at SUSE, but I have
seen others talk about Slackware 9.1.  I am a relatively new to linux,
although, I have successfully installed, and used linux using Red Hat 6.x,
and Mandrake 9.x.  Any help or advice would be appreciated greatly!

The new member,
Justin Cooper
coop0030 at hotmail.com
coop0030 at d.umn.edu