Well here is one thing, looking at your grub.conf it shows that you do
not have an initrd image.  Here is the chicken and egg thing comes into
play, how is your kernel going to talk to the boot drive with out the
module to do it.  You can get around this in two ways.
1. Build it into the kernel
2. Build a initrd or ramdisk image with the modules needed to boot
I hope this helps explain what was going on