There are two flavors of orinoco stuff.  The original that was created by Lucent/Agere (ie, Bell Labs) and then the
changed-to-be-proprietary crap by Proxim when Lucent sold the brand name "Orinoco" to them.  The Proxim stuff is crap (IMHO), but
the Lucent stuff is first-class in hardware and software (worked there, know some of the troops, etc).  I use a Dell Truemobile 1150
802.11b PCMCIA card which was made by Lucent and is identical to the earlier Lucent Orinoco stuff.  Had to go to a Dell and/or
Lucent site to get the right stuff.  The drivers from Proxim are NOT compatible under either Windoze or Linux, as I recall.  I'd say
DO NOT BUY any Orinoco that might have the Proxim name (big brown letters) even if the chip foundry may still be Lucent/Agere.

Chuck