Josh Welch writes:
> My first thought
> was CVS, it's been around awhile, I've played with it a little bit
> for use with config files, it seems well supported and the price is
> right.

CVS is being replaced by Subversion.  It is nice software and the Windows
GUI is great.  Subversion was designed as a replacement for CVS, not to be
the end-all version control system.  That said, the software is good and
fixes many of the problems people have with CVS.

I have used Subversion and am generally happy with it.  For normal version
control, it works well.  You will run into issues with it if you have to do
repeated merging between two or more source trees, as it doesn't handle this
for you automatically.

I have also used Darcs and like it a lot.  Darcs has some very cool
features, such as distributed repositories (every working copy is a complete
repository), being able to select individual patches, apply changes in any
order and pull changes from a separate repository via HTTP:

http://abridgegame.org/darcs/

Here are a few other interesting looking open source version control systems
that I am not familiar with.  Vesta was developed by Compaq and open sourced
a few years ago:

http://www.vestasys.org/
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/
http://www.venge.net/monotone/
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/

> My boss, however, would like to take a look at some commercial
> packages as well.

You should look at BitKeeper.  It was developed specifically for Linus
Torvalds to use while developing the Linux kernel.  It has a number of
features that the open sources systems don't:

http://www.bitkeeper.com/Sales.BitKeeper.html
http://www.bitkeeper.com/press/2004-03-17.html
http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/05/10/1235236.shtml
http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/05/10/1258220.shtml