What a good day to sit and watch Gentoo compile "Inside"!
I did not get any date errors when I did the "emerge sync" this time.
    Having the Compaq setup partition is necessary for a successful
Gentoo install.
    This is because the compile is date very sensitive.

The emerge sync finished over night, It told me to update Portage.
I looked on the Gentoo web site but didn't find anything directly
related to this.

So I did "emerge Portage" I really hope that was the right thing to do.
    Thinking outside the box (while in the house) sometimes helps the
learning curve.
I got the following error...

Checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See 'config.log' for more details.
configure: error: /bin/sh ' /.configure' failed for autoconf-lib-link
!!! ERROR: sys-devle/gettext-0.12.1 failed
!!! Function econf, line 324, Exitcode 1
!!! econf failed

I have no clue what this is telling me, well other then it failed on the
C++ preprocessor sanity check
I looked in /var/log for "config.log" and didn't find it. I'm not sure
where to look for the "config.log"

Sam.