On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:02:10 -0600
Tim Wilson <wilson at visi.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I've just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 1750 server to run RequestTracker on
> here at work. We bought the RAID controller, but don't intend to use it
> quite yet.
>
> I don't have much experience with RAID and I'm wondering if it's possible to
> install Linux (probably Debian) on the system in such a way that plugging
> another drive in later would "just work." We're probably going to just do
> mirroring if or when we plug in another drive.

I cannot answer your RAID question, but I can tell you that installing Debian on a 1750 is a little bit of a headache.  The default install disks do not recognize the NIC or SCSI controller.  But, if you follow the detailed instructions here:

http://oregonstate.edu/~kveton/debian/

you should be good to go.

Josh