Typically the mirror has to be setup before you start using the drives.
I have heard of some raid controllers creating non-destructive mirrors
from an existing hard drive though. I dont know how this raid controller
handles it though. I also have one of the 1750 servers with debian on
it. Its our mail server with 3x36gb drives in raid5. At the time I
installed it, it was kind of a pain. I had to make a custom net install
cd to support the raid controller and the onboard ethernet, which i
think was broadcom, but I dont recall exactly.