Hi Tim:

I've got a couple of Dell PowerEdge servers at my work.  I set both up
RAID 5 (PERC controller).

Let me first say, "yes."  You can set it up so you can simply plug
another drive in later, and it will reconfigure itself to accomodate the
addition.  This would mean you are setting it up as a RAID system now.
 It will make needed adjustments later.

However, it is my understanding with this system that you either a) set
up RAID, or b) set up no-RAID and use the drives as a bunch of
independent, "self-driven" drives.  Do you only have one drive in the
system?  If so, there's no RAID ... period!

If, on the other hand, you have at least two drives in the system, then
there's no reason not to set up RAID now.  There are options.  You can
mirror only, stripe only, or if you have at least 3 drives installed,
stripe with parity.

Does this help?

Garrett