On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:05:40PM -0600, PHPTOm wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A friend of my fiance, let's call her "Mel", needs a computer.  I decided to
> give Mel an old 460 mhz PIII dell.  It has 96 mg ram.

It's probably PC100 SDRAM, 512MB is $59, 256 is $38, 128 is $16. Upgrade.

> Mel heard about Linux on MPR or something and is willing to try it out.

Nifty.

> I loaded SuSe on it and it is soooo slow.  Is there a distro out there that
> is designed specifically to run on old, slow machines with little ram.  Is
> it just KDE?  Is 450 MHZ not capable?  Right now she has an old (even
> slower) pII laptop.  Is there any way to optimize KDE to run as efficently
> as possible?  She needs Open Office.

A 450mhz PII is fine for even KDE, you just need more RAM. Go through the
KDE config wizard (runs at first login) and turn off the eye candy with
the slider bar.

Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, etc. will *not* give a non-geek a good impression
of Linux. Stick with suse, RedHat, Fedora, Mandrake, or Lindows.