On Friday 20 February 2004 10:05 pm, PHPTOm wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A friend of my fiance, let's call her "Mel", needs a computer.  I decided
> to give Mel an old 460 mhz PIII dell.  It has 96 mg ram.
>
> Mel heard about Linux on MPR or something and is willing to try it out.
>
> I loaded SuSe on it and it is soooo slow.  Is there a distro out there that
> is designed specifically to run on old, slow machines with little ram.  Is
> it just KDE?  Is 450 MHZ not capable?  Right now she has an old (even
> slower) pII laptop.  Is there any way to optimize KDE to run as efficently
> as possible?  She needs Open Office.
>
> I would hate to have to load windows 98 on it just for speed reasons.
>
> TOm

FWIW I've run SuSE on slower systems with less RAM. KDE 3.x is much more
resource intensive than many other options. My personal favorite that I know
is on the SuSE CDs is IceWM. Its relatively light weight and if the person is
used to a Windows style interface it has that option. If you want to run KDE
then throw some more RAM at it and it should work fine.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com