On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, PHPTOm wrote:

> A friend of my fiance, let's call her "Mel", needs a computer.  I decided to
> give Mel an old 460 mhz PIII dell.  It has 96 mg ram.

whatever the question, needs more RAM.

> Mel heard about Linux on MPR or something and is willing to try it out.

cool

> I loaded SuSe on it and it is soooo slow.  Is there a distro out there that
> is designed specifically to run on old, slow machines with little ram.  Is
> it just KDE?  Is 450 MHZ not capable?  Right now she has an old (even
> slower) pII laptop.  Is there any way to optimize KDE to run as efficently
> as possible?  She needs Open Office.

try a more minimalist distro, Debian comes to mind as it does have a
fairly small footprint.

for a WM i recommend usine XFce, very nice and fast.
XFce4 is out but it is a tad slow, so stick with 3.8 for now

> I would hate to have to load windows 98 on it just for speed reasons.

what the fresh install giveth, the aging install taketh away.

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET