Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

>Device   Boot   Start   End    Blocks   ID   system
>/dev/hda1   *       1     5     40131   83   Linux
>/dev/hda2           6   193   1510110   82   swap
>/dev/hda3         194  4982  38467642+  83   LInux

>40 gb drive...just as I set it up about 2 weeks ago....

Yes, the partitions look fine.

>>>hda: read_intr: error 0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBA sect=79646593,
>>>sector=76546048

This sector appears to be at the end of the /dev/hda3 partition.
Is the reiserfs the same size as the partition?  debugreiserfs(8) can be
used to determine the size of a reiserfs.

The above error does unfortunately appear to be the result of the hard
drive's hardware failing.  It could be a glitch that goes away.  The
hard drive might do a remap to avoid this bad area.  It could be a
problem that comes and goes or it could be the beginning of a
catastrophic failure.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0209.2/0099.html

Of course, it is the kernel that is communicating the error to us.  It
could be the kernel and not a media error at all.  Or it could be a
strange error that fsck shouldn't fix, but some how does.

Does the system boot after doing the fsck, mount and backup?

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>