Ken Fuchs wrote:

>Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
>

>>upon reboot I get a Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>>

>Device 03:03 is /dev/hda3.
>
>Boot from a CD and determine if the partition map on hda looks OK:
>
># fdisk -l /dev/hda

Looks fine to me:
Device   Boot   Start   End   Blocks       ID       system
/dev/hda1    *      1        5         40131     83     Linux
/dev/hda2            6      193      1510110   82   swap
/dev/hda3            194   4982    38467642+ 83   LInux

40 gb drive...just as I set it up about 2 weeks ago....

>Are there any overlapping partitions or other strange or incorrect
>partitions?
>
>Optionally mount and try to backup important data.
>
># fsck /dev/hda3
>
># mount /dev/hda3 /mnt3

Was running fsck when your email came in :) it's resierfs ... "internal
tree" looked ok, "Semantic tree" looked ok - No corruptions found
the mounting produces (using same gentoo mount sequence - I used while
boot strapping):

swapon /dev/hda2
 no std out

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
 reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 03:03) ...
 Using r5 hash to sort names
 Removing [228367 634440 0x0 SD]..done
 Removing [229888 469925 0x0 SD]..done
 Removing [173836 168767 0x0 SD]..done
 There were 3 uncompleted unlinks/truncates. Completed
 reiserfs version 3.6.25

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
 no std out

I can get to my data after these mounts (now to find enough space
somewhere else to backup...)

>Look at the mounted root filesystem to determine if it appears to be OK.
>

>>hda: read_intr: error 0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBA sect=79646593,
>>sector=76546048
>>

>This seems like a rather high sector number for the beginning of the
>root filesystem.

3 partitions, so......

>How large are /dev/hda1 and /dev/hd2?

1 is boot - 32 Mb, 2 is swap - 1.5 Gb 3 is the rest...  (simple setup...)

> How large is
>the hard drive?

40Gb

>  This LBA sector could be beyond the end of the disk.
>How old is the drive?

came with the Dell Precision 530 my work provided me.  Maybe a few years?

> Does it make any unusual noises?

can't hear it over all the fans on this system ! but no, I have not
heard any unusual HD noise.