Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

>upon reboot I get a Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:03

Device 03:03 is /dev/hda3.

Boot from a CD and determine if the partition map on hda looks OK:

# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Are there any overlapping partitions or other strange or incorrect
partitions?

Optionally mount and try to backup important data.

# fsck /dev/hda3

# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt3

Look at the mounted root filesystem to determine if it appears to be OK.

>hda: read_intr: error 0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBA sect=79646593,
>sector=76546048

This seems like a rather high sector number for the beginning of the
root filesystem.  How large are /dev/hda1 and /dev/hd2?  How large is
the hard drive?  This LBA sector could be beyond the end of the disk.
How old is the drive?  Does it make any unusual noises?

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>