Ken Fuchs wrote:

>Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
>

>>Device   Boot   Start   End    Blocks   ID   system
>>/dev/hda1   *       1     5     40131   83   Linux
>>/dev/hda2           6   193   1510110   82   swap
>>/dev/hda3         194  4982  38467642+  83   LInux
>>

>>40 gb drive...just as I set it up about 2 weeks ago....
>>

>Yes, the partitions look fine.

>This sector appears to be at the end of the /dev/hda3 partition.
>Is the reiserfs the same size as the partition?

May be a bit smaller - reiserfs is 9616910 blocks with a block size of
4096 = 39390863360 / 1024 = 38467640

>  debugreiserfs(8) can be
>used to determine the size of a reiserfs.
>
>The above error does unfortunately appear to be the result of the hard
>drive's hardware failing.  It could be a glitch that goes away.  The
>hard drive might do a remap to avoid this bad area.  It could be a
>problem that comes and goes or it could be the beginning of a
>catastrophic failure.
>
>http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0209.2/0099.html
>
>Of course, it is the kernel that is communicating the error to us.  It
>could be the kernel and not a media error at all.  Or it could be a
>strange error that fsck shouldn't fix, but some how does.
>
>Does the system boot after doing the fsck, mount and backup?

no - I can boot from gentoo live cd, mount everything in the part table
and chroot into the system - I'm doing a backup now - but letting it
boot by itself - I get the same errors .

That doesn't really make sense to me.  why can I get it up and going,
but it can not?