That's typically one of the best ways to do it as the signal to the modem is
as clean as you can get it.  However, depending on the levels coming into
the house, you may actually NEED some splits.

I know it's not always easy, but the best thing is to have a cable tech come
and check signals.  They typically have a meter that will let them see the
levels.

The other way to do this depends on the brand/model of cable modem and the
Cable Operator (some are more strict than others.)  If the modem supports
it, you can statically change your IP address on your computer to
192.168.100.2 and change the gateway to 192.168.100.1.  (Sub-interface
should let this work too.)  Subnet of /24 (255.255.255.0).

Now pull up the web page at http://192.168.100.1/.  This part varies totally
on modem.  Surfboards will generally display all the info about levels,
Ambit's require a username and password (defaults to root/root if memory
serves me) to see levels.  The levels will only show when the modem has
sync.  Now, you can adjust padding/amplification/splitting until you are in
the window I mentioned.

With splitters, if you take your Reverse from 45 dB to 48.5 dB, your Forward
will go from say -1 dB to -4.5 dB approximately.  (Directional couplers act
differently and vary by model.  RSA pads affect only the Reverse padding.
Not all companies use them.)

If you can't get the levels right inside the house (i.e you have a -10 dB on
forward and +30 dB on Reverse, going to +40 dB on Reverse will change the
forward to -20 dB which is WAY out of spec) you'll have to have the Cable
Operator do some work at the tap or in the field.

Daniel Rysztak, CCNA
http://www.druids-grove.net/