Nate Carlson wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Chris Frederick wrote:
>

>>I downloaded the 2.6.2 sources, did a make oldconfig and took the
>>defaults (there was only one yes for CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC, the rest didn't
>>seem to apply to me).
>>

>The defaults, as in you didn't even plug in your config file first?

No I made sure to do that part :)

>What CPU type are you selecting? I generally see that behaviour when you
>are selecting a CPU type that has optimizations that your current CPU
>doesn't support. (IE, a 686 kernel on a 486 or Pentium Classic).
>
>I'd highly recommend just starting from 'make config' or 'make
>menuconfig', and go through every option and make sure it's set right. I
>know it takes awhile, but that way you'll (hopefully) get a working kernel
>the first time.  :)

The cpu is AMD K7 Athlon 800Mhz (the old Slot A type).  And the
processor familly is set to "Athlon/Duron/K7", and I don't have the
"Generic x86 support" set.  This worked fine with 2.6.1.  I'll try it
with "586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX" and see if that works, and enable the
generic x86 option.  If that doesn't work, I guess I'll start from scratch.
.
Here's what changed with the make oldconfig on the server (blank lines
removed).

diff linux-2.6.1/.config linux-2.6.2/.config
248a249
 > CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
317a319,322
 > CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX_CONFIG=y