On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Chris Frederick wrote:
> I downloaded the 2.6.2 sources, did a make oldconfig and took the
> defaults (there was only one yes for CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC, the rest didn't
> seem to apply to me).

The defaults, as in you didn't even plug in your config file first?
That'll probably end up with a kernel that won't work on your box.  :)

> Everything compiles nicely, but when I choose "262" on the laptop it
> reboots right away.

What CPU type are you selecting? I generally see that behaviour when you
are selecting a CPU type that has optimizations that your current CPU
doesn't support. (IE, a 686 kernel on a 486 or Pentium Classic).

I'd highly recommend just starting from 'make config' or 'make
menuconfig', and go through every option and make sure it's set right. I
know it takes awhile, but that way you'll (hopefully) get a working kernel
the first time.  :)